Tswaing Crater Trail
Soutpan, North of Pretoria, Gauteng
Situated just 40Km north of Pretoria lies the Tswaing Asteroid Crater which is believed to have been created when an Asteroid collided with Earth about 200,000 years ago. All that is left of the collision is a crater surrounded by a ring of hill about 100m high and a kilometre across. These hills are believed to have been originally twice this height. Tswaing is the Tswana work for Salt Lake and refers to lake at the bottom of the crater.
Well worth a visit. It is not that well known although it is very interesting, especially for those interested in rocks and strange occurrences
How to get there
· Take the N 1 (north) through Pretoria towards Polokwane.
· Drive past Zambesi/Cullinan off-ramp.
· Take N 4 (west)(Rustenburg) at next off-ramp (Bakwena Platinum Freeway).
· Drive for 19 km west.
· Toll R6,60 at Doornpoort Plaza.
· Take M 80 Pretoria/Soshanguve off-ramp and go towards Soshanguve.
· Drive north along M 80 (Mabopane Freeway) until a point where this freeway. stops at three-way stop-sign intersection (distance about 18 km).
· Turn right towards M 35 Soutpan (old name for Tswaing) at this intersection.
· Turn left at T-junction with M 35 Soutpan or Tswaing Road.
· Drive on for about 15km north past Soshanguve’s informal settlements.
· Watch out for game fence (left) and Coca-Cola sign indicating Tswaing Crater 2,7 km.
· Turn left at brown tourist signs after 2,7 km into gravel road leading to main gate
Bookings and enquiries
The Curator, Tswaing Crater Museum
Telephone 012 790 2302 Fax 012 790 5034
Footprint Hiking Club.
To visit other pages on this website click on a hyperlink below